Via: Russ Sharp
"Some 16,500 BMW R75's were built between the years of 1941-1945 under the direction of chief-engineer Rudolf Schleicher. It was manufactured exclusively for the German army and is recognized as one of the more famous motorcycles in the evolution of motorcycles. The BMW R75 served with all branches of the German armed forces, on all fronts, on all terrains.
A lever mounted on the rear wheel drive housing when engaged locks in the "chair" wheel into a drive loaded, like a posi-traction. Although this helped in cross country navigation the BMW did not steer very well. The engine was 45 C.I. with a four speed transmission , eight forward and two reverse, a top speed of 75 mph and a low range of 60. Both hand foot shift levers were installed. Both rear wheel and the "chair" wheel were on a foot pedal hydraulic braking system . A filter was installed on the top of the gas tank for the Afrika corps bikes. The tool cavity was utilized for the filter and a steel German helmet styled cover mounted. The BMW R75s were completely waterproof .
The model is the BMW R75 motorcycle with sidecar in 1/9th scale from ESCI manufactured in the 70s. The Italian company features some 200 parts plus on 8 sprue frets. The parts are molded in a light textured tan colour, some silver parts, metal springs for the seat and front forks and solid rubber tires.
The bike was painted to represent one attached to the Afrika Corps. All purpose acrylic craft paint was hand painted on to the vehicle in a dark yellow colour, followed by a good drybrushing of a dust colour . Several coats of a black and brown mixed wash was applied, followed by another drybrush. The engine, some linkage and the MG 42 were all painted white, lights red and the gauge decal placed into the gauge. A coating of clear nail polish was brushed onto the lights and added into the gauge to simulate glass."