Friday, December 19, 2008

Inside the Dark Satanic Mill.

Via: Leon's Vintage Motorcycle Page

"These photos are taken inside a busy and cluttered workshop that I like to refer to (with apologies to William Blake) as "the dark Satanic mill". All types of activities are going on in here, involving bicycles, and motorcycles.
The workshop was located in McHenry St, Adelaide, South Australia. It's typical of a large number of buildings in the Adelaide central business district at the turn of the 20th century: built hard against existing stone and brick buildings largely from corrugated iron, with most likely a rammed earth floor.
A c1901 American Mitchell motorcycle leaning against the bench on the right, and a Lewis Minerva under construction on the left. The man in the centre of the photograph is brazing up a bicycle frame, using a small hearth and a town-gas torch."

Bring me my bow of burning gold:
Bring me my arrows of desire:
Bring me my spear: O clouds unfold!

...Bring me my chariot of fire.

No comments: