Thursday, March 26, 2009

The motorcycle in cinema-No Limit.


(link)
Chimney sweep George Shuttleworth builds his own motor-bike "The Shuttleworth Snap Special"and enters the T.T. races having 'borrowed' some of his grandad's money to do so...

The Shuttleworth Snap Special-(An AJS 350, 1926)
Pict via: Sidecar.it.
A Re-Creation of the Shuttleworth can be seen here.

No Limit is a 1936 comedy film which was released by Associated Talking Pictures. It starred George Formby and Florence Desmond. Made in location in the Isle of Man, for £30.000, the climax of the film comes when the young amateur is racing towards the winning line - only to run out of petrol! He pushes his bike the last 500 yards, with an unsporting rival speeding past just seconds after he staggers across the finishing line. This scene was shot fifteen times on a hot June day; on the final occasion the star genuinely collapsed at the line, and a doctor was called. This is the 'take' that can now be seen in the film.

Via: George Formby.UK



Everybody sing along, Formby sings the TT song (link)

"If there's one thing that I like' it's riding around on my motorbike
I'm a speed king when I once begin.
I once won first prize, two and six, I know all the dirt bike dirty tricks.
I'm a marvel when I'm out to win.
In a fifty mile race, I am the best I ride five miles and skid the rest.

CHORUS
So come along and see me riding in the TT races.
Easier than hopscotch beating all the top notch aces

I've been riding all my life I started quite small
I've ridden fairy cycles aye and scooters and all
Hear the people cheer me when they see me steering backwards
Down the hill I go at breakneck speed
See me coming down the street, with the women posed on the pillion seat
Oh come along and see me riding at the TT race

Come along and see me riding in the TT races.
Easier than hopscotch beating all the top notch aces
Once my bike was hard to ride but I didn't mind
Until I found it'd hitched a charabanc on behind
Everybody scaring I'm such a daring rider
My insides rattles when I go the pace
My ribs begin to shake about, there's all my spare parts sticking out
Oh come along and see me riding in the TT race

With me gears in reverse, the other way around I'll finish first
So come along and see me riding in the TT race
HA -Ha-HA -Ha-ha aha ha ha ha"

A must-have: The Shuttleworth Special sculpture from Glen English Models

No comments: